Instant Pot Multigrain Rice (Korean Japgokbap)
Korean Multigrain Rice is a great healthy white rice alternative but it needs a long time to fully cook. With the Instant Pot, it's ready in 25 min total as long as the beans are pre-soaked.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Resting Time 6 hours
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 cup short grain white rice 1 cup = 220 g
- 1 cup sweet rice glutinous = sticky
- 1/2 cup Adzuki red beans 1/2 cup=100g
- 1/2 cup Sweet Sorghum 1/2 cup=100g
- 1/2 cup Millet 1/2 cup=100g
- 1/4 cup Chickpeas 1/4 cup=50g
- 1/4 cup Black Beans 1/4 cup=50g
- 4 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
Measure about 1/2 cup of Adzuki red beans, Sorghum, Proso or Foxtail Millet and 1/4 cup of Chickpeas or other beans. No need to soak white rice. Change water at least 1-2 times during soaking and rinse the beans before adding to pot.
Measure 2 cups short grain white rice and wash by rinsing and rubbing rice gently between your hands in water. Drain then repeat at least 2-3 times.
Drain all beans and grains. Discard water.
In the pot, add white rice, sweet rice, beans and grains.
Add 4 1/2 cup water to pot. The general rule of thumb is to use grain to water ratio as 1:0.9.
Add about 3/4 tsp sea salt.
Close lid and set to Manual High pressure 18 min. Make sure the seal is tight and everything is set correctly for pressure cooking.
When rice is cooked, manually release pressure. And open and serve once fully released.
- Fully soak all beans and change water to make sure all beans are completely re-hydrated and any toxins (lectin) rinsed off.
- Adzuki red beans can cause some irritation for sensitive stomachs. Pre-cook Adzuki beans if you want to make sure it doesn't cause any digestion issues for people with weak stomachs. But I have no issue so it should be fine for most.
- Mix some type of glutinous sweet rice or grain to produce a good chewy texture.
- To save time, FREEZE re-hydrated beans and sweet rice and add them directly to white rice to make multigrain rice in your rice cooker or Instant Pot in just minutes.
- Salt is optional but add salt for most traditional flavorful Japgokbap.
- Do NOT use natural release because it will make the rice too wet and overcooked.
Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 116mg | Potassium: 153mg | Fiber: 3g | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 2.4mg