Kkakdugi - Korean Cubed Radish Kimchi
Kkakdugi is a very easy and quick Kimchi to make – just in 30 minutes so. So, if you have never made Kimchi before, this is a great one to start with.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 quarts
- 1 large Korean radish (4 lbs or 1.8 kg)
- 2 Tbs water
- 2 Tbs Korean Cheonilyeom Sea Salt
Sweet Rice Flour Paste
- 10 Tbs water
- 1 Tbs sweet rice flour
- 5 Tbs sweet rice flour paste
- 3 Tbs Korean chili powder (Gochukaru)
- 2 Tbs garlic , chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger , chopped
- 1 tsp saewoojeot (fermented shrimp)
- 1 Tbs myeolchi aekjeot (fermented anchovy sauce)
Make sweet rice flour paste by mixing 10 Tbs water and 1 Tbs sweet rice flour with a whisk. Bring to boil and then simmer for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure there are no lumps. Let it cool.
Peel radish with a peeler and cut into 1.2 inch disks. Then cut into cubes like so -
In a bowl, mix 2 Tbs water and 2 Tbs Cheonilyeom Salt.
Add radish cubes to bowl with brine. Toss radish cubes to make sure everyone is evenly coated with the brine.
Let radish cubes pickle for 20 minutes.
In another bowl (big enough to mix radish), add 5 Tbs cooled sweet rice flour paste, 3 Tbs chili powder, 2 Tbs garlic, 1 1/2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp saewoojeot and 1 Tbs myeolchi aekjeot. Set aside.
Drain radish from 5, discard the brine. Do not rinse radish.
Add pickled radish to the bowl with seasoning and mix.
Put in a container or jar, leave it out at room temperature for 1 -2 days until the top is bubbling. Put in fridge and serve cold.
- The size of the radish cubes for Kkakdugi comes in all different sizes. On the average, the size ranges from the very dainty 0.5 in (1.2 cm) to a hefty 1 in (2.5 cm) cube.
- PLEASE use Cheonilyeom 천일염 (Korean Coarse Sea Salt aged for 1000 days with bittern removed) when making Kimchi. It is not enough to just use coarse Sea Salt because non-Korean coarse sea salt will have different salinity and will not have the bittern removed which can make your Kimchi bitter.
Calories: 82kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 315mg | Potassium: 328mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1780IU | Vitamin C: 19.8mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1.4mg