Mini Kimbap with carrots aka Mayak Kimbap
Korean mini carrot kimbap that's a great vegetarian, vegan dish. Very simple taste but oh so good with the soy mustard sauce. Great for kids too!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 3 short grain rice cooker cups (2 1/4 US cup or 600 g) rice, cooked
Seasoning for Rice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar + 1 tbsp(optional)
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Sea Salt (Trader Joe's)
- 2 large carrot , julienned
- 1/2 tsp sugar + 1/2 tsp (optional)
- sesame oil
- 1 pinch sesame seeds
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1 T soy sauce (진간장 jinkanjang)
- 2 tsp rice or white vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp Yellow Mustard (mix powder and water, let it sit for 5 min)
- 2 tsp yellow mustard powder
- 2 tsp water
OPTIONAL - 3 persian cucumbers, cut into quarters lengthwise
Cook rice in rice cooker or in pot. Try to make rice on the dry side.
Saute julienned carrots on medium heat in a pan with some oil. After sauteeing for few minutes, when the carrots are almost cooked, season with salt and pepper and about 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp sugar. Transfer to a plate and let it cool.
Make Soy Mustard (겨자간장 Gyeoja Kanjang) by mixing soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, honey and yellow mustard.
Make rice seasoning by mixing vinegar, sugar and salt.
Once rice is cooked, transfer to a bowl and while the rice is still hot, add the vinegar seasoning. Mix the rice well while cooling it down.
Make mini kimbap by laying out the dried nori (gim) on the bamboo sushi rolling mat. Use as little rice as possible to ensure you will have *mini* kimbap.
- To prevent rice from sticking to your fingers when spreading the rice on the nori/gim, prepare a small bowl with water and wet your hands before you spread the rice.
- Also, if you have a few rice grains on your fingers, spread them throughout the nori (into the area above where the rice mainly is) so that it can work as a glue when you roll the gimbap/sushi.
Calories: 35kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Sodium: 372mg | Potassium: 65mg | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3395IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 0.1mg