Pike Mackerel Stew (Kkongchi Jorim)
Pike Mackerel Stew is a great hearty fish jorim or stew that you can make with canned mackerels.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 14 oz canned pike mackerel
- 1 C sliced Korean radish (Daikon is also OK)
- 2 green onions
- 1 fresh red or green pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 C water
- 3 T soy sauce
- 2 T rice wine (mirin)
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t chopped fresh ginger or 1/2 t ginger powder
- 2 t sugar
- 1 T korean red chili paste (gochoojang고추장)
- black pepper
Cut up 1 C of radish.
Mix all the ingredients for the sauce and set it aside:
Drain away the liquid from the Mackerel can and add the fish to the pot:
Add 1/2 C water, sauce to the pot and start cooking at medium high heat.
Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to simmer. In the meantime, cut up green onions and some red pepper and add to the pot.
Simmer at low heat for 30-40 minutes until the sauce is reduced.
- Serve with some rice, lettuce leaves and ssamjang. Can be enjoyed with Korean ssam (lettuce wraps).
- Calories and nutrition value only includes 1/2 of liquid sauce.
Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 696mg | Potassium: 772mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 575IU | Vitamin C: 35.3mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 2.2mg