Sweet and Salty Lotus Roots (Yeonkeun Jorim)
Braised lotus roots are a popular Korean side dish. They taste best when they are slightly crunchy, salty and sweet all at the same time.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 16 oz blanched lotus roots (about 4 cups)
- 1 Tbs + 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 Tbs + 2 tsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs + 1 tsp cooking rice wine (sake is good)
- 1 Tbs rice malt syrup
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 3/4 cup + 1 tsp water
- Pinch of sesame seeds as garnish
For fresh lotus roots, just wash, peel, slice them into 1/4 inch thickness and then blanch them in boiling vinegar water (1 Tbs vinegar to 4-5 cups water).
On medium high heat, add the 1 Tbs + 1tsp of oil in a pot and lightly saute the lotus roots for 5 min.
Make the sauce by mixing the soy sauce, sugar, cooking wine, water and malt syrup. Add the sauce to the pot and bring to a boil on medium high heat.
Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat, cover with a lid and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Stir the lotus root slices every few minutes to make sure they get evenly coated with the sauce.
For the final step, take off the lid and add 2 Tbs maple syrup. Let the sauce reduce further (so that it barely covers the bottom of the pot) in low heat for 5-7 minutes. This will add a nice glaze to the jorim. Stir the lotus roots often to glaze them evenly.
Sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds on top. These lotus roots will be just sweet and salty enough to make a great side dish to any Korean meal.
You can keep yeonkeun jorim in the fridge for several days up to a week. Reheating is not necessary. They taste great at room temperature.
- I could not find any fresh lotus roots at my store so I bought packaged lotus root that comes already blanched. If you can buy fresh lotus roots, that’s probably better but I think this is just as good. The packaged lotus roots already come in vinegar water so make sure you drain it, rinse it a couple times and then dry off any excess water by placing them on sheets of paper towel.
Calories: 101kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 480mg | Potassium: 326mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin C: 24.9mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 0.7mg