Dakgalbi (Chuncheon Spicy Chicken Stir Fry)
A popular way of cooking chicken in Korea, Chuncheon Dakgalbi is seasoned with a spicy sweet gochujang sauce that has a mild hint of curry flavor.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Dak Kalbi Sauce
- 4 Tbs gochujang
- 3 Tbs Korean red chili powder (gochukaroo)
- 1 Tbs Korean curry powder (or 1 tsp curry powder)
- 1 tsp garam masala (optional – you can just increase curry powder instead)
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs apple lemon soy sauce
- 4 tsp dark soy sauce (진간장 jinkanjang)
- 2 Tbs red wine (or 1 Tbs mirin)
- 2-3 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbs green plum syrup (매실액 maesil syrup or 2 Tbs rice malt syrup + 2 tsp vinegar)
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 2 Tbs garlic pear seasoning paste
Ingredients for Dak Kalbi
- Approx 1/2 of the sauce or more to taste
- 1 ½ lb chicken (thigh + breast)
- 6 oz sweet potato (heaping 1 cup when cut)
- 6 oz cabbage (4 cups when cut)
- 1 onion
- 3-4 oz rice cake (oval or ttoekbokki)
- 3 green onions (대파 Daepa or 1 Korean large green onions)
- 6-10 perilla leaves (깻잎 Kkaetnip)
Make the Dak Kalbi sauce by mixing all the ingredients together. Set aside.
Remove fat and skin (optional) from chicken and cut into bite-size pieces.
Marinate chicken with the sauce. Use about 1/2 of the sauce to coat all the chicken. Leave chicken for 1 hour or overnight.
Peel onions and sweet potato. Cut onions and cabbage into roughly 1 inch squares. Cut sweet potatoes into 1 inch squares with 1/3 inch thickness. Slice green onions.
Cut perilla leaves into 1/2 inch strips.
Heat pan and add chicken, rice cakes, and sweet potato. Add 3 Tbs water and sauté on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Add remaining vegetables (cabbage, green onions, onions) and sauté on medium heat for 10-12 mins until the chicken is fully cooked. Taste and add more sauce if necessary. (I added about 2 T additional sauce to taste.)
Finish the dish by adding cut perilla and optionally some toasted sesame seeds.
Serve with rice. You can also eat it with some ssam. For an extra treat, finish the meal by making fried rice with drippings from the pan and any leftover chicken from the table. Add some remaining ssam lettuce if you like.
- Substitute for 2 Tbs Apple Lemon soy sauce + 4 tsp dark soy sauce = 3 Tbs dark soy sauce + 3 Tbs sweet rice wine (mirin) + 2 tsp sugar.
- Instead of 2 Tbs Garlic Pear Seasoning paste, substitute with 1 Tbs chopped garlic + ½ tsp chopped ginger.
Calories: 588kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 127mg | Sodium: 255mg | Potassium: 765mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 7310IU | Vitamin C: 24.4mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 3.3mg