Hobakjuk - Korean Pumpkin Porridge (Instant Pot and Regular Recipe)
Hobakjuk or Korean Pumpkin Porridge is the perfect food for a cold winter day or any day. It is also a yummy healing food, light on the stomach and very nutritious!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 16 cups
- 1 kabocha squash (1 kg or 2.2 lbs)
Sweet Rice Balls
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour (mochi flour)
- 3 Tbs hot boiling water
Sweet Rice Slurry
- 6 Tbs sweet rice flour (mochi flour)
- 8 Tbs water
- 3 Tbs sugar (optional or use less for soup)
- 0.75 tsp Sea Salt (Trader Joe's) Trader Joe's
For Regular Cooking Method
Make Sweet Rice Balls (SaeAlShim) - OPTIONAL
While the squash/pumpkin is cooking, make mini sweet rice balls (chapssal sae-al-shim 새알심) to add to porridge. Start boiling a pot of water to cook the rice balls in. Make dough by mixing 1/2 cup sweet rice flour and 3 Tbs HOT water.
First mix with a spoon because it’s so hot! After it’s cooled a bit, gather with your hands and make it into a dough ball.
Tear off a little of the dough and make cute mini sweet rice balls. I made each of mine about 1.5 cm (1/2 in) in diameter.
Cook mini rice balls in boiling water. Cook for about 2 minutes and rice balls should float to the top when cooked.
Take rice balls out of the boiling water and drain, let them cool. Keep them covered so they don’t dry out.
BOTH for INSTANT POT and REGULAR COOKING METHOD
Once the squash or pumpkin pieces are fully cooked, get a blender or chopper to blend it as smoothly as you’d like. Divided pumpkins into 2 or more batches depending on the size of your blender.
For each 1 cooked Kabocha Squash, blend the squash + remaining liquid from pot + 4 cups water.
You can either put the blended pumpkin mix back into your Instant Pot or into a large pot. Season with sugar and sea salt to taste. Mix.
- Serve with no garnishes or with any or all of the following: toasted or raw pumpkin seeds, sweet rice balls, dried cranberries, dried jujube (daechu) and even some cooked azuki red beans.
- To cook the azuki red beans, just soak them in water for several hours and then cook them in water until soft.
Calories: 56kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Sodium: 95mg | Potassium: 200mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 770IU | Vitamin C: 6.9mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 0.3mg