Soba Noodle Salad
Soba Noodle Salad is a great one dish meal or side dish to any meal. Make a large batch of the yummy sesame soy dressing and use at any time.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 120 g (4 oz) dry buckwheat noodles (soba)
- 1 cup cut greens (kale, lettuce, radicchio, perilla) or 1/2 bag 4 oz packaged mixed baby greens
Dressing - this is more than you need
- 4 tsp soy sauce (Jin Ganjang 진간장)
- 1 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp wasabi
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
Boil water and cook buckwheat noodles according to package directions. (Bring water to boil, do not add salt and cook for 5-7 minutes. Noodles should not be al dente but also not mushy.
Have a bowl of cold water ready and rinse cooked buckwheat noodles well so all the sticky stuff is gone. Drain.
Wash greens. Drain. Unless you are using baby greens, cut your greens into strips.
You can use whatever combination – just try to have some leaves with firm texture like kale and radicchio. And greens like Perilla or Ssukkat which will add another great dimension of minty flavor.
Make dressing: mix soy sauce, vinegar and sugar until sugar dissolves. Add sesame oil and wasabi and mix again. Add sesame seeds. If you find sesame oil fragrance too strong, you can use 1 tsp sesame oil and 2 tsp vegetable oil instead.
When you are ready to eat, assemble the noodles and greens together in a bowl. DO NOT pour all the dressing. I use about 2 Tbs + 1 tsp dressing for 1 bundle of dry noodles. Generally, I use about 4 tsp dressing per 1 cup of cooked soba noodles. Add dressing, toss and Serve. Noodles will absorb the dressing so don’t mix too much ahead of time.
- Keep any leftover dressing in the fridge.
- Goes great with any Korean party meal. It can also be a great simple lunch menu or a yummy side to any meal.
- PLEASE NOTE Nutritional Facts have calories and sodium calculated for ALL the dressing. You will use much less than what is on the recipe. Also the high sodium content comes from Buckwheat noodles - check your package for more accurate sodium content.
Calories: 600kcal | Carbohydrates: 103g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1007mg | Potassium: 371mg | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 455IU | Vitamin C: 9.3mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 3.8mg