Quick Bungeoppang using Ready-Made Crescent Dough
Bungeoppang is a fish-shaped bread that’s filled with sweet fillings like sweet red bean paste and is sold as snacks in the streets of Seoul. Using the ready-made crescent dough allows you to make it in just 10 minutes while still yielding yummy results.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Servings 4 pieces
- 1 crescent dough sheet (I used Pillsbury)
- 3/4 cup sweet red bean paste (anko)
Unwrap the crescent dough sheet on the cutting board. Stretch it out a little to make it more even throughout.
Cut the dough into 8 pieces with a knife – like so.
Place a piece of dough into the fish shape mold. Press the mold with your fingers to fill in the shape while making sure there are no air bubbles underneath the dough.
Fill all 8 fish bread molds with dough pieces.
On one side of the mold, fill with sweet red bean paste dough. I usually add about 3 Tbs of sweet red bean paste but adjust to your taste.
Close up the Bungeoppang/Taiyaki pan and take the mold to your stove top. Turn on stove to medium-low (between medium and low) and cook for about 2 minutes to 2:30 minutes. Open the pan after 2 min or so to check the doneness. Leave it until it becomes nice and brown.
Turn the pan over and cook another 2 minutes or so until it is also done on that side too like above.
And that’s it!! You will have an incredible snack or dessert that’s wonderfully crispy on the outside and a yummy sweet and soft filling on the inside! SERVE when it’s still warm!!
- Adjust Dough and Filling Ratio – The recipe below makes a light thin bread with a LOT of sweet red bean paste – which is the way we like it. If you want to make one that has more bread and less filling, just fill up the mold with more dough and less filling. i.e. cut dough into 4 or 6 pieces instead of 8.
- Rough vs Fine Sweet Red Bean paste – The FINE one is a very smooth paste throughout. The other one that is more like CRUSHED which just says ‘sweet red beans’ has more of the red beans intact, giving you more texture. Choose the one that best suits your texture preference.
- Storage and Reheat – Store leftover pieces in the fridge for a few days. These taste best when it’s freshly made and it’s HOT. Once they get cold, they become pretty hard and not very good. But just reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds for each and they are yummy again! But be careful the red bean filling can be REALLY HOT!!
Calories: 145kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 54mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 21g | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 0.7mg