First, thank you sooo much everyone for your love and enthusiasm for these Korean items and also for your lovely comments about my work. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. ❤️ I have read each and every 222 comments and it was such a great confirmation for me that I made the right decision to start this blog so many years ago. I have enjoyed each and every moment working on this blog, answering questions (well, except for a few..haha) and I hope to continue for many more years!!
1st Prize goes tooooo~~ Christine K!!! 🎉🎁 #150
2nd Prize goes tooooo ~~ Tomi W!! 🎉🎁 #35
We will be contacting you both directly by email for the next steps. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Will we be opening a store?
YES!! My 3 sisters and I are working to bring some of these beautiful Korean products to your homes. We all have other work to do so we may be a bit slow but hopefully soon!! I will keep you all updated!
Original post content
Korean Wooden Tea Cups, Spoon Chopstick Sets + Spoon Rest + Cooking Chopsticks Giveaway!! I bought these in Korea last year and have totally forgotten that I had them. These are specially finished by hand using Korean traditional lacquer method called Otchil 옻칠.
What is Otchil 옻칠?
Otchil is a Korean traditional lacquer finish used for centuries (over 2000 years) using the sap of the Korean Ot tree 옻나무 (rhus vernicifiua). Unlike artificial lacquers which can peel and even be harmful to health, the otchil process is all natural and the natural sap is considered even good for one’s health. Containers coated in Otchil were believed to prevent any natural ingredients stored inside from decaying because of its antiseptic properties.
Otchil artisans even insist that otchil is not a paint, as “paint comes off or fades after a certain time, but otchil maintains the same gloss and tint. It’s timeless.” from Korean JoongAng Daily News paper –
Otchil is made through a long and rigorous process, often requiring many repeated steps (sometimes as many as 20 coats) of coating, drying, sanding and re-coating so it can be expensive. The more coats and deeper in color, the more expensive the item is going to be.
1st PRIZE – Korean Otchil Wooden Tea Cups with Lids
By Namwon Mokgi 남원목기
Imagine, sitting under the roof of a Korean Hanok (traditional home).. looking out onto big old pine trees while drinking hot green tea in these lovely wooden cups that are light as a feather..
These cups are beautifully dark reddish brown with many coats of Otchil. Carefully crafted and finished by the Artisan Noh Dongsik 노동식 (Korean Intangible Cultural Property No 11 -3 무형문화재 11-3호) and you can see his seal at the bottom of the cup here. Each cup is around $30 for a total of $60. (sorry, I had posted the incorrect price initially – corrected after 30 min of posting) I bought these from a special wooden crafts store in Seoul. Please don’t put these in the dishwasher but handle them with love and care.
BTW, you can see the seal that says 남원목기 Namone Mokgi in Chinese characters. It is the seal of the woodenware by Artisan Noh.
2nd Prize – Otchil spoon and chopstick set, spoon rests x 2, Cooking chopstick
For the 2nd prize, I have 2 sets of Otchil Korean wooden spoon and chopsticks, 2 sets of ceramic spoon rests and 1 long wooden chopsticks that you can use for cooking. The extra-long chopsticks are great for sauteeing, deep frying and making jeons.
Total Prize Value $30 (Sorry, corrected from $45 on May 11th 10:44am PST)
- Otchil Spoon and Chopsticks Set : $7.50 each x 2 = $15
- Ceramic Spoon Rests 2 set = $10
- Extra-Long Cooking Otchil (light color) Wooden Chopsticks = $5
GOOD LUCK Everyone!!
- WHO CAN ENTER: 18 years and older (WORLDWIDE) who is a SUBSCRIBER of my KIMCHIMARI BLOG VIA EMAIL.
- NOTE – your email address for your comment must match my subscription list. This is the only way I can verify you are following my blog. Please note – the comment may not appear right away as I have to approve them.
- HOW TO ENTER:
- REQUIRED – You have to be subscribed to my blog (note, you also get a free Korean BBQ Dinner cookbook when you sign up for my newsletters).
- REQUIRED – Please comment below with your e-mail address and let me know which of the items in the giveaway you are willing to buy separately from the giveaway (if I were able to get more and sell it. ). Note, the prices will be a bit higher due to shipping and other costs involved. The prices here are what I paid in Korea.
- OPTIONAL – Please let me know if there are any Korean kitchenware, cooking ingredient, tableware that you would like to buy but can’t buy it where you live (especially in US I mean). Things that you see in my blog photos or things that you need. Because I’m thinking of setting up a store!!!😲😉😍
- HOW WINNERS ARE PICKED: Random.org will be used to pick 2 winners randomly. Winners must respond within 36 hrs to claim the prize.
- PRIZE VALUE: 1st prize $44, 2nd prize $34
- STARTS: Monday, May 10th ENDS: Sunday, May 16th Midnight Pacific Standard Time (PST), USA
- ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNERS: 2 Winners will be picked and announced via the blog on May 21st, 2021. The winner must respond within 36 hrs.
- DELIVERY: Items will be shipped to your address.